Is it Thursday again already?! A long weekend will do that. This weekend is a bit quieter than last, so you’ll definitely have time for some R ‘n’ R but if you are looking to fill up your social calendar, here are a few fun suggestions:
1. Thursday & Friday – Free Outdoor Movies. Sure we’ve posted about this before, but due to that inclement weather we had on Tuesday, Movies on Memorial rescheduled their screening of Spice World to Thursday evening. It’s totally FREE so just grab your besties, some snacks and a blanket and come for some 90’s nostalgia (and probably a bit of a sing-a-long) around dusk. If that one doesn’t do it for ya, other options include La La Land in Transcona (Thursday) or Finding Dory and Captain America Civil War in Assiniboine Park (Friday).
Oh and in case you hadn’t heard, Spice World is coming back to select theatres this year to celebrate it’s 20th anniversary! Sadly, so far it’s only in the UK, but here’s hoping!
2. Thursday – Dinos After Dusk at the Manitoba Museum. 7 pm – 11 pm, $25 or $20 for members.
The Dinosaurs Alive exhibit at the Manitoba Museum looks quite a bit different after dark… and with no kids around. Dinos After Dusk is an 18+ event featuring:
- Guided tours to learn about what Manitoba was like during the age of dinosaurs
- Music and black light dancing all night long courtesy of King Cabernet (who is awesome btw!)
- Motorized Dino obstacle course race with Canada Games Sport for Life Centre
- Make your own giant crazy dinosaur hat with Art City
- Pizza snack included (yum!)
- Cash bar and signature refreshment
- Access to all Museum Galleries starting at 9 pm.
3. Friday & Saturday – Winnipeg BBQ and Blues Festival on Smith Street & The Burton Cumming Theatre. FREE- $100.
There is a reason it’s called the BBQ and Blues Festival and not the other way around. The 6th annual fest is taking over Smith Street with world class BBQ vendors and an outdoor stage for music, food and product demonstrations. Indoors, blues fans can check out The Fabulous Thunderbirds and The Blind Boys of Alabama. And you really don’t have to be into the Blues to enjoy some lip smackin’ hip shakin’ fun!
4. Saturday or Sunday – Yoga in the Park. Donation based.
Saturday Moksha Yoga Winnipeg is inviting people to come practice in Assiniboine Park at the Lyric Theatre for their largest karma (donation based) class of the year. Come for an hour-long practice at noon and stay for the BBQ! The cost is $20 and will go to the Moksha Yoga Winnipeg Schools Project, which helps bring the practices of yoga and mindfulness to local schools.
If your Saturday is booked, you can also go for a pay-what-you-can yoga class in St. Vital Park on Sunday from 12:30 -1:30.
5. Monday – Friends Trivia at The Pint. FREE admission, but you’re probably going to want some snacks so… $$
Know Friends better than anyone? You always knew that info would come in handy one day! Trivia consists of four rounds with five questions a piece. You must pre-register a team of up to four people. Doors open for seating at 7pm with the trivia starting promptly at 8pm. This one may be sold out, but that doesn’t mean you can’t go down and secretly play along. Just no shouting out the answers! Oh, and they have a Harry Potter trivia night coming up this week too!